April 8, 2023
Aerial Photograph of Moore Falls, 2021
By Guy Scott
A sister community to Miner’s Bay is Moore’s Falls. At this point on the Gull River, Gull Lake ends and the waters tumble into Moore’s Lake. An early lumberman’s dam and timber slide was built here to control water levels on Gull Lake. Moore’s Falls could serve as access to Minden by water, and most early traffic was done by steamboat. However, the arrival of the Victoria Railway at Gelert in 1878 led to the demise of the steamboat service as access by rail shifted east. A stage coach connected Moore’s Falls with Norland and the railway at Coboconk.
A number of farmers clustered in the Gull River Valley and along the Deep Bay Road. The site was an obvious native campground, and numerous artifacts were found along the falls. Thomas Leary ran an inn at the falls and carried passengers down the Cameron Road to Norland.