April 10, 2022
A Performance at Dickson's Hall, circa 1900
Originally built as the Bible Christian Church, the building was vacated in 1884, when the Bible Christians merged with the Methodists (who later merged with some of the Presbyterians to form the United Church). Three years later, local land Surveyor James Dickson (remembered for his role in founding Algonquin Park) purchased the former church and converted it into a community hall, popularly known as Dickson’s Hall.
It was used for many public functions—village council meetings, concerts, performances, teas, dances and church services. It hosted the 1902 municipal election and a high tea for the opening of the Third St. James Anglican Church across the road the same year. After Dickson died, the Fenelon Falls Women’s Institute took over management, rechristening it as the Town Hall, as it continued to host similar events. In 1956, they sold it to the trustees of Immanuel Baptist Church.