George Crandell founded Sturgeon Point as a cottage community and steamboat destination in 1876. In this photograph, Esturion, the finest vessel of the rival Trent Valley Navigation Company, lands at the (original) Lower Wharf.
Swananoah fronts the Sandbar, adjacent to the Lower Wharf, and was built for Sir Joseph Flavelle in 1907. It boasts one of the most distinctive boathouses on the lake.
The Sturgeon Point Hotel was built in 1876 for George Crandell, with 40 rooms, billiard tables, a bowling alley, dance hall, croquet, tennis, a sandy beach, canoes and rowboats. It burned June 15, 1896, and is now private cottage lots (just east of Swananoah).
Located immediately in front of the hotel, the Lower Wharf handled most nineteenth century traffic to the point. After the hotel burned, it was superseded by the Upper Wharf, and has since regrown with trees.
Immediately beside the hotel was the Sandbar, which was one of the most notable natural features on Sturgeon Lake. It is now much diminished from its former size. Swananoah's boathouse appears on the right.
The Sandbar has hosted many pleasant social events over the years, and is a wonderful place to enjoy Sturgeon Lake.
One of the earliest images of the Sturgeon Point is this gathering on the Sandbar.
Florence Walkey had handled the lunchroom and store at the Sturgeon Point Hotel until it burned, then opened her own store at the intersection of First Street and Lake Avenue, which met the needs of local residents and visitors alike. Unfortunately, it too burned in 1915.
Mrs. Walkey regrouped from the loss of her store, opening the popular Lakeview Inn, located between 3rd and 4th Streets. It ultimately became yet another landmark to succumb to fire in February 1956.
The pretty road to the east of the Lakeview Inn looked back towards the former site of Mrs. Walkey's store.
The stretch of Lake Avenue in front of Swananoah served as an illustration when Sturgeon Point was promoted as a cylcing and tourist destination at the turn of the century. Bicycles were just then becoming common, coincident with the development of suitable roads.
Irene Avenue has developed significantly since these campers from Bury's Green were photographed in the 1950s. Yet the forests that line either side are quite recognizable and it remains a wonderful place to go for a walk.
Though it now has a streetlight, Lake Avenue at 5th Street has changed little in the last century. Could some of the trees from the original picture still be standing?
A few years after the demise of the Sturgeon Point Hotel, the community built a new wharf at the end of Irene Avenue in 1901. It added a rain shelter two years later. Here the Stoney Lake arrives, filled to capacity.
The Esturion approaches the new Upper Wharf as two passengers wait.
Passengers await a steamer at the Upper Wharf. The rain shelter looks much the same today.
Another early image of the Upper Wharf.
Mackenizie's yacht at the Upper Wharf.
Just north of the Upper Wharf was a bench and lookout to enjoy beautiful Sturgeon Lake and watch the steamers come in.
Many distinctive boathouses have graced Sturgeon Point's waterfront over the years, some have served for generations
Several old boat hoses (since replaced) and Walkey's store (burned) were once situated west of Swananoah.
Many visitors attended the Sturgeon Point Regatta along Lake Avenue, west of Swananoah, circa 1900. This distinctive boathouse has changed little since then. Note that the original postcard was hand tinted by someone who had never seen the original scene in colour.
The shoreline east of the old hotel property.
For a generation, Charlie Gray kept Sturgeon Point running. He built cottages, cut the grass, plowed the roads, raked the leaves, and drove around daily to ensure that everything was just as it should be. He never charged anything like what his work was actually worth. Practically everyone at Sturgeon Point had a deep appreciation for Charlie. In this original photograph, he is seated on the tractor, installing a dock at Barrett's cottage.