View all Reflections
From the Church Hill
Fenelon Falls From the Church Hill: The Earliest Known Photo of the Village. How much the village has changed and yet how much has stayed the same….
Gone are the days when the village was filled with stumps, and automobiles have replaced the horse and carriage, but the array of lots and streets remains much the same. Cornerstone Home Furniture (centre-right) sits in the place of George Crandell’s Hotel. The Great Fire of Fenelon Falls ignited at this site in 1884, destroying much of the west side of Colborne Street, which was subsequently replaced with the brick blocks that survive today.
The building across from Crandell’s is Deyman’s furniture and undertaking, the ancestor of Jardine Funeral Home. Note the board ladders nailed to roofs for fighting fire, and the Presbyterian Church, which now is (ironically) the Liquor Store.
Looking South from the Grist Mill
Situated on the north side of Fenelon Falls, the stone grist mill was a landmark and a wonderful vantage for taking photographs in all directions. Many historic photos of the village were taken from this site. Later on it was repurposed as the Botany Spinners and Rosedale Furniture, before burning in 1970.
The original image is colourized as a postcard. The artist likely never saw the original vista, so some things are not their actual colour. Heritage House (top left in original photo, built as the office for R.C. Smith’s Red Mill, now RWH construction) never was red brick, rather it is the same stone building seen in the contemporary photograph.
In the original photograph, the flume for the Lindsay power plant is on the far shore (at the start of the twentieth century, Fenelon Falls powered two hydro electric generating stations, one for the town of Lindsay, the other for home village). The log slide is closer to the centre of the river. Centre right, near the top of the original photograph is the stone school, now the Spry Masonic Lodge.
Maryboro Lodge, formerly a popular tourist lodge, is now a public museum, and remains a popular community gathering place.
Maryboro's Tennis Court
When the Abbott Sisters hosted guests at Maryboro Lodge, they had a tennis court on the lake side of the building. It is now a picnic area in the oak grove.
37 Oak Street
37 Oak Street has long been one of the most striking homes on the street, originally built for F.J. Kerr. Oak Street had been the private park of town proprietor James Wallis, so it was not developed until the late nineteenth century, when prominent families built fine new homes. This created a beautiful neighbourhood that the City of Kawartha Lakes designated as a heritage district in 2017.
The Victoria Railway has become a popular recreational corridor. Visitors can view Cameron Lake and the Fenelon River from the colourful butterfly benches, where the building for the swing bridge operator once stood.
Fenelon Falls’ Train Station has become the Station Gallery, a gift shop featuring the work of local artists.
Bridge over the Falls
The bridge and Heritage House are still recognizable from a photograph circa 1960, while the roof of the former Lindsay Power Plant has been lowered to create a restaurant.
Old Power Plant
For many years the Lindsay Power Plant operated as the Falls View Restaurant, today it is the Locker.
The Sundial Motel, once a popular restaurant offering Broasted Chicken, remains a motel, though it is now an Ultramar Gas Station as well.
In 1944 Fenelon Falls residents would swim on the side of the canal, in the same channel where boats would pass. Today it is parking for the public boat launch.
Stanton's Becomes Sider's
In 1957 J.H. Stanton’s photographic studio was rebuilt as Sider’s Jewellery and an IGA grocery store.
Sider's Becomes Stokes on Trent
After the IGA constructed a new store further north on Colborne Street, Siders operated both halves of the building, and were succeeded by Stokes on Trent. Today the building is the sales office for the new Fenelon Lakes Club condominium and the Lil’ Wee Quilt Shop. The Fenelon Falls Rotary Club often showcases their Classic Car Raffle on site.
Originally the livery stable for the McArthur House Hotel, in the mid twentieth century this stone building facing the locks was home to John Demerling’s machine shop and Dick Bulmer’s Blacksmith Shop. After a generation as the Livery Stable gift shop, it has been transformed into the Fenelon Brewery.
Watching Boats pass through the locks remains popular today, as it was when the locks were reconstructed in the early 1960s.
Manita in the Canal
Launched in 1900 the Manita covered the northwestern section of the Trent Valley Navigation Company’s transportation network (Coboconk-Fenelon Falls-Sturgeon Point-Lindsay), which proved short lived with the advent of private motor launches that dominate the waterway today.
Most of the shops facing the canal have changed since the 1970s.
Dam and Island
Viewed from the Bridge over the Falls, the Fenelon Dam is no longer surrounded by Flett’s Cabins and the Fenelon Creamery. The Trent Severn Waterway cleared the island in the 1960s.
Though the sawdust pile is gone, the mill at Handley Lumber is still managed by Chris Handley, great-grandson of its builder Joe. Chris’ father Ken still operates the mill.
The McArthur House, shown here with owner John Aldous and his famous race horse Little Hector, became the local Canadian Tire…
Canadian Tire Becomes Subway
Before Canadian Tire was in turn reincarnated as Subway.
Log Drive in the Locks
Generations have passed since the last drive passed down the Trent Watershed, as the log booms of centuries past have given way to pleasure craft. The old cranks still stand by the lock, but today they there are purely ornamentation. At the time this photograph was taken, Fenelon Falls had a two-stage lock, but it has since been reconstructed with a single chamber further upstream—so there is no gate today where the old wooden doors once hung. The new fixed concrete bridge has replaced the old swing, and stands a little further downstream. The old lock walls have been cut away to facilitate the stairs passing under the bridge. Cliffside Villa now overlooks the gorge, while the tip of the island has gone from being barren of trees to being so densely wooded that the Fenelon River is no longer visible. Through all the changes over the years, the cliffside cedars are still there, how old might they be?
Rebuilding the Lock
In 1963 W.G. Jackett & Sons excavated to create a locks, leaving a giant stone pillar where the upper lock gate now sits.
Before the reconstruction, Fenelon Falls needed a two-stage lock to overcome the 23 foot drop from Cameron to Sturgeon Lake.
Where the swing bridge once opened to allow boats to pass through the Upper Fenelon Lock, since its 1963 reconstruction boats now pass under the bridge at the level of Sturgeon Lake. Lyon’s Garage is in the background of the original photograph.
Swing Bridge and Colborne Street
With the new single stage lock, a swing bridge (shown circa 1930) was no longer needed. The fixed concrete bridge continues to allow motorized traffic to pass uninterrupted.
Foot of the Island
The Village of Fenelon Falls Municipal Building and Fire Tower once stood on the Island, which the Trent Severn has cleared to create a public park.
Colborne Street West Side
Many buildings from 1940 remain on the west side of Colborne Street, including the banks on the corner… the CIBC was originally built as the post office.
Colborne Street East Side
Across the Street, the southern most stores have seen several reconfigurations, from 1900 to 1960…
Colborne Street East Side Reincarnated
And 1960 to the present.
Though it has been worn down by decades of waves, the breakwater still guides boats into the Fenelon Canal.
Canal's North Side
Prior to its reconstruction in the early 1960s, the Fenelon Canal had a small operators building on the north side.
It’s hard not to be struck by how much less water is going over the falls than in the early 1980s, now that the power plant (on the far shore) is generating electricity. Except for a brief lull in the late twentieth century, Fenelon Falls has been harnessed as a power source for much of the past two centuries, from the days when it powered Fenelon Falls’ saw and grist mills to the first conversion to electricity at the end of the nineteenth century. For many years, there was a power plant on both sides of the falls.
Many of the buildings in the background look very different, though they are the same structures. The old McArthur House, then a Canadian Tire is now Subway, but has blue metal covering its upper brick façade. The former Stokes on Trent looks quite different without the shutters, and prominent white sign.
Falls from the Island
Today as in the mid-twentieth century, Fenelon Falls remains one of the most photographed sites in the village.
Dine at the Falls
The popular patio of the Falls View Restaurant lives on as the Locker.
Bank of Montreal
The Bank of Montreal is one of the oldest businesses on Colborne Street.
Carload and Reid's
The former Carload Food Market (c 1960) has stood vacant for several years recently, while the Reid’s Variety Store remained the as J’n B’s before becoming Jim Newton’s electrical, plumbing, heating and cooling.
Colborne Street looking South
Many of the old brick buildings on Fenelon Falls’ main street are still standing, though many of their facades have been either painted or clad in metal over the years. At the far (south) end of the street, the third storey of the former McArthur House (now Subway) had to be taken down. The old grist mill (Rosedale Furniture) burned in 1970, becoming yet another landmark to be consumed by flames. The Post Office has been reincarnated as CIBC. Fenelon Falls no longer has angle parking, but now has stoplights. The recent reconstruction of the main street has recreated a place for banners to hang, not far from where the tourist information banner hung when the original photograph was taken.
The Baptist Church continues to be a guiding light for local believers.
Pollard the Mover hauls the drive shed from Fenelon Falls United Church to the funeral home, circa 1968. That’s Henry Purdy Riding on Top, while Frank Johnston and Dr. Bill Graham walk up the sidewalk beside it. Behind the shed in the original picture, the belfry still stands on the former Fenelon Falls Public School. By the time the picture was taken, about 15 years had passed since the new (now demolished) public school had opened. Just imagine what would happen today if you were caught standing on top of a shed, driving up the main street!
Alpine Inn to Cliffside Villa
Situated on the site of the former Alpine Inn, Cliffside Villa provides low cost housing, while the tip of the Fenelon Island remains a popular public park, though no longer one where cars can drive down to water’s edge. The Fenelon Falls power plant and municipal buildings have been superseded with a more compact plant that is closer to the falls and greenspace.
Bird's Eye View of Gorge
The agricultural landscape that surrounded the Fenelon Gorge in 1900 has largely regenerated as forest, interspersed with urban development.
Public School Becomes Sugarbush Villa
In 2000 the Fenelon Falls Public School was demolished, making way for Sugarbush Villa Adult Lifestyle Community.
From the South
Since the 1960s, Canadian Tire and Home Hardware have moved to the south end of Lindsay Street, while there is no longer a farm equipment dealership in town.
Ice Cream by the Locks
Visitors can still enjoy ice cream from Slices in Scoops, as at the Fenelon Dairy in 1957
Fenelon Falls Secondary School
Fenelon Falls Secondary School has expanded towards Lindsay Street to create a new office.
In the early twentieth century, regattas were a popular attraction at local locks, attracting thousands of visitors.
Lyon’s Garage, a Dodge-Desoto Dealership was demolished when as the Trent-Severn Waterway transformed the island into greenspace in the 1960s.
At the start of the twentieth century, Fenelon Falls had a transfer bus, that took visitors from the wharves (located on the north side, just above and below the canal) to Jeremiah Twomey’s Mansion House. Today, the Mansion House is now the Cow and Sow, and buses are now motorized, but they lack the well ventilated carriage and equine aroma. Plus, it is no longer necessary to shovel up any mess afterwards!
Tourist Camp now Beach Park
In the first half of the twentieth century, the south half of Garnet Graham Park (beside Maryboro Lodge) was the community’s tourist camp. Visitors would drive right up on the lawns and pitch their tent . The railway has become a parking lot, the original rail bridge is still in place, and Maryboro Lodge then a tourist lodge is now the community museum.
Garnet Graham and Miss Fenelon Falls
Garnet Graham and Wendy pose with his plywood photo set, 1987 and Garnet's daughter Elizabeth (Graham) Korn, with a reproduction at KidsFest 2022
In the 1980s, it seemed that Garnet Graham found a way to touch the lives of practically everyone in town, with his yip sticks, countless other tricks, and by supporting just about every charitable cause in town.
Garnet was always looking for a way to make Fenelon Falls a better place, and one of his many creative ideas was to create a photo set in the beach park that today bears his name. He commissioned local sign painter John Lyon to do the artwork. Though the original Miss Fenelon Falls is starting to show its age, John created a second Miss Fenelon Falls, which makes an appearance at many museum events, including KidsFest.
Garnet Graham Demonstrates his Yip Sticks
Garnet Graham with his Yip Sticks in front of the Fenelon Lock in 1987 and Maryboro Lodge Museum volunteer Liz Pead demonstrating a Yip Stick in memory of Garnet, at closing night at the Grove Theatre, September 17, 2022.
Not only did Garnet Graham's Yip Sticks support countless community organizations, for a generation they were the most popular souvenir of the village. It was hard not to love Mr. Yip and his sidekick Bobby Beau—a magical dog that could add and climb trees! In 1986, Reeve Barclay Taylor decided to rename Fenelon Falls’ Beach Park in recognition of Garnet’s lifelong efforts to improve his community.
From an Aeroplane, 1919
Much has changed since the Fenelon Falls' first aerial photograph was taken. The McArthur Hotel (Subway) is now a story shorter, the island has become greenspace, and the surrounding landscape has significantly regrown with trees.
Fenelon River from Cameron Lake
The swing bridge completed in 1893 still marks the entrance to Fenelon Falls from Cameron Lake, shown here in a 1960s postcard and in 2021.
Fenelon Falls Then & Now
The public face of Fenelon Falls was radically altered starting in 1961. The municipal buildings, power plant, grist mill and Lyon's Garage that had been the public face of the community for generations cleared to make way for a park alongside the Trent-Severn Waterway. The Original photo was taken in 1947.