Fenelon Falls Aerial

Circa 1970

Fenelon Falls

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Algonquin Park Gate

Motorists entered Algonquin Park through elaborate stone gates designed to evoke the rustic look of the rocky wilderness just beyond them. Note the British Union flag flying from the pole just outside of the gatehouse.

Circa 1950

Algonquin Park

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Algonquin Park Gate

Formally opened in 1893, Algonquin Park was by the 1950s attracting many thousands of tourists from all over Ontario. In this view, a line of cars waits to gain entrance adjacent to the stone gatehouse.

Circa 1955

Algonquin Park

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Greeting from Lindsay

Lindsay

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Lakefield Canal

The Lakefield Canal appears to be almost brand-new in this view, captured around 1910. Note the wooden guardrails on either side of the canal, suggesting that automotive traffic was beginning to make its presence known in the village of Lakefield.

Circa 1910

Lakefield

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Opeongo Outfitters

Circa 1960

Opeongo Lake

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Colborne Street, Fenelon Falls

A Ford two-door sedan is parked outside of the Curtis Inn and restaurant, while a truck makes its way south along Colborne Street in this view of downtown Fenelon Falls around 1950.

Circa 1950

Colborne Street , Fenelon Falls

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Fenelon Falls Bridge

Colborne Street , Fenelon Falls

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Fenelon Falls Lock

Though postmarked 1966, this view overlooking the east end of the Fenelon Falls locks appears to have been captured at least a decade or more before. Coupes and sedans park adjacent to the wharf where horse-drawn wagons once met arriving steam vessels. The only vessel arriving at the wharf today appears to be the canoe making its way across the gorge, with the famous limestone cliffs towering overhead.

Circa 1950

Fenelon Falls

Maryboro Lodge Collection

Fenelon Falls Canal

Surrounding foliage is reflected in the waters immediately west of the swing bridge which carried vehicular traffic across the Fenelon Falls locks from the 1930s through to its replacement with a fixed concrete span in 1963.

Colborne Street , Fenelon Falls

Maryboro Lodge Collection

© Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum