Back to directory

Business Type: Tailor

John James Townley

According to the obituary of his son, the Townleys came to Canada from London England in 1890. The family travelled extensively and had been in business in Essington, Alaska, and Vancouver BC., before moving to Toronto. In May 1894 J.J. Townley came to the Falls and was engaged as a cutter in Robert Taggart’s tailoring […]

Townley Brothers

Arthur Leonard (Art) (1886-1938) and H.J. (Herbert John) (1883-1949) took over the tailoring business started by their father after his death in 1907. Their shop was located on the west side of Colborne Street. “H.J. was the cutter and fitter while Art was the salesman.” According to his obituary, H.J. was unable to carry on […]

William Allen

Thomas Langton in 1838 records that Allen, a tailor, had married a widow from the States and moved from a half acre lot in either Fenelon or Verulam to Fenelon Falls “where he could take a town lot and follow his trade”. In 1841 Anne Langton refers to him again; “a little business turned up […]

H. [Hugh or Henry] Campbell

In the 1871 Census, Hugh Campbell is listed as a 45 year-old Scottish tailor living in Eldon Township. By September 1871 an H. Campbell is recorded in D&B as a Fenelon Falls resident. This may be the same tailor. In either case, H. Campbell vanishes from the record by January 1872. By January 1874, a […]

Michael Carroll

Michael Carroll appears in Lovell’s Province of Ontario Directory for 1871.

John Flett

Flett is listed as a 23 year-old Scottish-born “independent” in the 1881 Census. There is no other record of a business.

Richard Jackson

Richard Jackson is listed as a 24 year-old tailor in the 1861 Census. He had invested $200.00 in the business and expected a return of $300. He first appears in Mitchell’s Canada Gazetteer in 1864/1865. Of Irish background he was born in Ontario and again appeared in the 1871 Census as a 33 year-old merchant […]

A. (Albert) Laliberte

In an ad dated 7 May 1880, A. Laliberte announced the opening of his new tailor shop on Colborne Street, “opposite Mr. Wm. Marshall’s old stand.” The ad ran for several months in the Gazette. By September he had moved the business into a house north of Bond Street owned by Mrs. Umphrey [sic] [FFG […]

William McArthur

William McArthur died in Lindsay on October 14th, 1925, and was interred in the Riverside Cemetery [FFPL 25.20].

© Copyright 2021 - Maryboro Lodge Museum