HARD AT IT–“Crandell & Ellis’s steamers and scows are kept hard at work hauling basswood and other soft wood, about 1,200 cords of which the firm sold to the Pulp Mill Co. at this village. Barely half of it has yet been delivered, and no time can be lost, as there is no knowing how […]
Business Type: Lumber
Alexander Dennistoun was the brother of Judge Robert Dennistoun. While active in the village (circa 1857/58 ) he soon moved on to Peterborough and Montreal. Dennistoun maintained a residence in the area, and Suggitt records he “obtained possession of Indian Point and control of the forest on the Point and along the north shore of […]
Greene is listed in the 1871 Census as a 43 year-old, American-born lumberman. The 1881 Census states he was 56, and a Baptist.
Walter Gunn is listed in the 1861 Census of Fenelon as a 24 year-old lumber merchant. Born in “Lower Canada” his business had an “annual product value” of $5000.00. He obviously did not last long as he is listed in no other source. Although a common profession in the rapidly expanding lumber market of the […]
The name George Martin first appears in 1876 (D&B) as the owner of a livery stable. His name is mentioned again in 1881 as he was paid $3.00 for storing the village fire engine in one of his buildings [FFG 29 Jan 1881; 2]. George Martin was also in partnership with Alexander McArthur and John […]
Duncan A. McDonald appears to have enjoyed a number of professions in the few years he was in Fenelon Falls (1861-1868). A 36 year-old Duncan McDonald is listed as a shoemaker in the 1861 Census; the value of his “annual production” is given as $400. He is recorded as a “boot and shoemaker” in Mitchell’s […]
James Miller is listed in the 1861 Census of Fenelon as a 40 year-old lumber merchant who was a “new beginner in this part”. His residence however was given as Otonabee and as he appears in no other sources, he obviously did not stay.
Canada Directory (1857/1858).
A large building (later described as a house) owned by Smith & Company, “which was one of the oldest buildings in the village and therefore more or less venerated for its age” was destroyed by fire on April 16, 1874 [CP 17 April 1874; 3]. Smith & Co. appears to have been one of the […]
Listed in D&B Smith & Waddle was an early name for the R.C. Smith Company, in partnership with “Waddell of Cobourg” [Suggitt; 265]. Suggitt claims they purchased the mill property from Sutherland Stayner and built a new mill. The partnership may have dissolved or the Company was renamed “Smith & Company.”