Back to directory

Business Type: Hotel

Joseph McLaughlin

Joseph McLaughlin came from Napanee and purchased the North American Hotel from Aaron Brooks [FFG 23 Aug 1884; 2]. Mr. McLaughlin was the “new landlord” by August 23rd. He operated the hotel until it burned to the ground on December 27th, 1885 [FFG 2 Jan 1886; 2].

John Pauwels

Robert Rutherford sold his lease of the McArthur House to E. Pauwels of Cobourg in April 1881 [FFG 2 April 1881: 2]. Pauwels immediately overhauled and refitted the hotel with new furniture [FFG 18 June 1881; 2]; however, he then sold the lease to Nobel Ingram in August of 1882 [FFG 12 Aug 1882; 2]. […]

George Raper

In 1892 Nobel Ingram sold the McArthur House Hotel to George Raper [FFG 29 April 1892; 4], of Millbrook, who took possession on April 27th. “Mr. Raper, though a young man, is no novice at the business…” The prospects of the hotel must not have suited him as Raper sold out to John Aldous in […]

William Routley

The 1871 census lists a 40 year-old William Routly [sic] “living private”, yet he also appears as a tavern keeper in Lovell’s Province of Ontario Directory for 1871. He was the owner of the “roughly kept” Victoria Hotel when it burned in January 1878. By 1882 Routley began construction of another hotel on the same […]

Robert Rutherford

Robert Rutherford was born in Smith Township, Peterborough County [FFPL 25.13]. By 1876 he opened a grocery store in the McArthur Block; “Mr. Robert Rutherford has a considerable portion of his opening stock here and is ready to open” when the painting is done in the almost completed McArthur Block [CP 3 Nov 1876; 3]. […]

Astor House Hotel

“An old and well established on the main street” with “good accommodation and excellent board” stated an 1870 ad in the Bobcaygeon Independent. “The best liquors and cigars may always be had at the bar. The stabling is first class and horses will receive the most careful attention.” Its early history is a mystery, but […]

William H. Simpson

Wm. H. Simpson of Bobcaygeon took over the lease of the Mansion House Hotel on August 23, 1882, after Nobel Ingram left for the McArthur House. According to the Gazette Simpson was well and favourably known to almost everybody in this section [FFG 1 Sept 1882; 2]. He immediately purchased all new furniture for the […]

Peter Begin

Peter Begin’s business activities can only be traced through the history of other stores. He is not listed in the 1871 Census and so must have arrived in the area in the next year or two. Sometime in 1873, according to D&B, Augustus Cadotte entered into a partnership with a Mr. Begin to run a […]

Turner (T.E.) Spellman

Turner Spellman ran the newly built European Hotel south of the river in 1886 when it first opened. The operation was eventually taken over by Henry Brooks.

© Copyright 2024 - Maryboro Lodge Museum