Back to directory

Business Type: Hotel and Tavern Keeper

William Bell

When the various sources and directories confuse the first names and initials of men with the same surname, chaos can ensue. James W. Bell and William Bell may be the same man with different careers in different decades. “J.W.” Bell was listed in D&B as a Tavern owner as early as January 1869. William Bell […]

William Boynton

William Boynton is listed as a tavern keeper in Lovell’s Province of Ontario Directory for 1871 and as a “hotel” owner in D&B for 1871 and 1872. Oddly, he is not listed in the 1871 Census. Boynton may have only been a manager of a business rather than the owner. To date the hotel he […]

Andrew Brandon

Andrew Brandon is listed as an “inn-keeper” in the 1861 Census. He was 41 years-old, born in Ireland, and lived in a two storey frame “house” with his wife Martha. They kept one female servant. Brandon first appears in the directories in 1864 as a tavern keeper and proprietor of the Brandon Hotel, located on […]

D. (Daniel) Comstock

We know little about Daniel Comstock and what has been printed is unverifiable . In the “Papers Concerning James Dickson” there is a history of the Littleton family, which states that Joseph Littleton (born 1813) worked “in a sawmill operated by a Mr. Comstock” sometime between 1846 and 1855. An article dating from March 1854 […]

Lewis Downey

We know very little about Lewis Downey. He was granted a tavern license in March 1869 by the Fenelon Township Council (By-Law 159 – 1 March 1869), and appears in the Ontario Gazetteer for that year as well. James Dickson recorded in his diary that he had “fined Downey for selling liquor without a license” […]

Joseph McArthur

Joseph McArthur was a land owner, and a man of many business interests and projects, all of which were of major importance to the village from the late 1860s until his premature death in 1892. He began his career as a tavern-keeper and first appears in D&B in January 1869; He was also issued a […]

George Rickey

The hotel/tavern of George Rickey first appears in D&B in 1872. A tavern license was issued to George Rickey by Fenelon Council in February or March 1874 [CP 6 March 1874: 4]. The business does not appear to have lasted much beyond the year as Rickey was not licensed in 1875. So far the hotel […]

James W. Bell

When the various sources and directories confuse the first names and initials of men with the same surname, chaos can ensue. James W. Bell and William Bell may be the same man with different careers in different decades. “J.W.” Bell was listed in D&B as a Tavern owner as early as January 1869. “William” Bell […]

© Copyright 2021 - Maryboro Lodge Museum