Back to directory

Business Type: General Store

T. Corcoran

Corcoran’s name appears in the D&B directories from July 1871 to January 1872 , although in each case the reader is referred to the Lindsay entry. Corcoran operated a branch of the Lindsay store under the name of Corcoran & Ellis. He may never have lived in the village. No doubt the store was set […]

Kennedy & Newman

Sometime before July 1871, John W. Kennedy formed a partnership with Samuel Newman to operate a general store known as Kennedy & Newman. The partnership lasted until December 1874, when it was announced that the two were going out of business, and were to be succeeded by H.P. Heming of Montreal [CP 4 Dec 1874; […]

T.G. Sutherland & Borland

T.G. Sutherland went into business with E.B. Borland selling dry goods after Borland sold his drug store in 1877. The business appears only once in D&B [Jan 1878], and the partnership did not last long as Borland left Fenelon Falls in June of 1879 [CP 13 June 1879; 3]. Borland, as assignee of the estate […]

W. Davey & Sons

Davey was from Bobcaygeon. He purchased the whole contents of two stores (one dry goods, the other groceries, boots and shoes) “run for some time past by the Fenelon Falls Syndicate , and is now busy with a staff of assistants taking stock” (FFG 31 Jan 1896; 5). Both stores opened soon afterwards. The business […]

A.W. Lasher

“Mr. Lasher, formerly of Peterborough, has taken up his residence here and opened out a stock of dry goods in Mr. Newman’s brick store” [CP 27 September 1878; 2]. In March of 1879 he moved his business to Mr. Borland’s old stand in the McArthur Block [CP 28 March 1879; 3]. The business appears to […]

John Willock

John Willock is listed in D&B as the operator of a General store in the summer of 1885. There are no other references to a John Willock so he may only have been an employee, or the store quickly went out of business. The Willock family were farmers at Powles Corners for many years, and […]

Havilah Davis

The 1871 census lists “Hevilah” Davis as a 29 year-old, English-born wheelwright. He first appears in Fuller’s Counties of Peterborough and Victoria in the mid 1860s. Davis completed the census of Fenelon Falls for the Victoria County Council in [May] 1874, in anticipation of By-Law (No. 161) [passed 5 June 1874] incorporating Fenelon Falls into […]

George Martin

The name George Martin first appears in 1876 (D&B) as the owner of a livery stable. His name is mentioned again in 1881 as he was paid $3.00 for storing the village fire engine in one of his buildings [FFG 29 Jan 1881; 2]. George Martin was also in partnership with Alexander McArthur and John […]

Bert H. (Albert Henry) Wills

Bert Wills was certainly in business by August 1886 when he purchased the bankrupt stock of Johnston & Geach and set up shop in the store formerly occupied by Bertram & Co [FFG 20 Aug 1886; 6]. His store suffered a “daring burglary” in October 1887 when “bursting open the back door” the thieves stripped […]

William Dewart

William Dewart was born in Dummer, the son of a prosperous farmer. Although he started out as a teacher, he became a “merchant” about 1861 when he is first recorded in Fenelon Falls. He is listed in the 1861 Census of Fenelon Township as a 24 year-old, Ontario-born, Baptist merchant. He owned a two storey […]

© Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum