Back to directory

Business Type: Boots and Shoes

James Agnew

James Agnew is listed in the 1871 census for Lindsay as a 24 year-old, Ontario-born, Wesleyan Methodist. Of an Irish background, his occupation was “journeyman shoemaker”. By July 1873 a “J. and G. Agnew” were in partnership selling shoes at Fenelon Falls, but with the dissolution of that partnership in February 1875, the business opened […]

Henry Austin

Born in Verulam Township about 1852, Henry Austin had a butcher shop in operation before 1876 as he was burned out in the McArthur block fire of March 29th (CP 31 March 1876; 2]. A butchering business under the name “Austin & Bros.” appears in the D&B directories from 1876 to 1878. Late in 1880 […]

Roderick Campbell

Roderick Campbell appears only once in Fuller’s Counties of Peterborough and Victoria Directory for 1865/1866.

Campbell & McCallum

The Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory for 1869 records a partnership between William Campbell and Robert McCallum selling boots and shoes. The partnership did not last long as both were in business separately, possibly as early as 1870, but certainly by 1871.

Stephen Graice

Fuller’s Counties of Peterborough and Victoria Directory (1865/1866).

McCallum & Campbell (or Campbell & McCallum)

William Campbell and Robert McCallum started in business around 1869. They appear in the Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory for that year selling boots and shoes, but their agreement appears to have dissolved by 1870, as Campbell is recorded on his own after that date.

Duncan A. McDonald

Duncan A. McDonald appears to have enjoyed a number of professions in the few years he was in Fenelon Falls (1861-1868). A 36 year-old Duncan McDonald is listed as a shoemaker in the 1861 Census; the value of his “annual production” is given as $400. He is recorded as a “boot and shoemaker” in Mitchell’s […]

William Powles

William Powles was appointed the first regular postmaster of Fenelon Falls on December 2, 1844 [Suggitt; 275]. Some sources say he built his first house on Clifton Street near the river, and later moved onto Colborne Street in 1844 from where he ran the post office. He is listed in the Canada Directory (1851) as […]

© Copyright 2021 - Maryboro Lodge Museum