- Furniture & Undertaker 1884 - 1902 (Approx.)
William McKeown began construction of a furniture factory on the south side of Francis Street West (near the middle of the block) in March of 1884 after leasing the site from Joseph McArthur [FFG 8 March 1884; 2]. The factory was located on the site of the old sash and door factory that burned in 1880. The building was to be 14 feet high with dimensions of 20 by 60 feet [FFG 15 March 1884; 2]. By April all the machinery had arrived [FFG 19 April 1884; 2], and he was making and selling furniture by June. He was also “prepared to furnish funerals, having a considerable number of superior coffins and a handsome hearse” [FFG 7 June 1884; 2]. Doors, sashes and moldings were also made in the factory. McKeown married Ada Webster in February 1898. The business disappears from the directories in 1902.