- Stave Factory 1893 (Approx.) - 1920s (Approx.)
Washington Northey was in business with his brother Alfred under the name Northey Brothers; they opened out about 1893, after a disastrous fire in 1892, and continued until 1900, when the brothers went their separate ways and divided the business between them. Washington and his wife Mary operated a restaurant for many years where J.& Bs was located.
The 1904 Souvenir states: “W. Northey. One of the best restaurants to be found along the Kawartha Lakes is the one kept by Mr. W. Northey on Colborne St. Every confectionery in both cheap and also finest qualities is to be found here, and oysters and every kind of fresh fruit in season. His ice cream and ice cream soda parlor is fitted up in the most complete and modern style, the furniture being imported and is of a very light and summer-like description. He serves every kind of summer drink in the very best manner, the fountain being one of the best in Ontario. Mr. Northey has been in the business in the Village for 10 years, and knows how to cater to the wants of the tourist and summer visitor.” A 1907 ad noted that “Lunches, fine confectionary & cigars, all sorts of fruits, ice cream and oysters in season” were available. The business continued until the early 1920s. Washington died in 1924 and was buried in the Fenelon Falls Cemetery. His son, Alex, ran a restaurant in the village until the mid 1960s.
602 Variant first names: William.603 See FFG 1990 Historical Edition 28 Sept 1990; 5 for an article on the Northey Family.604 Northey’s restaurant has been in operation since the fall of 1893, when the late Washington Northey and Mr. A.V. [Alfred] Northey went into partnership in a grocery, bakery and restaurant business in a building now occupied by A. V. Northey’s jewelry store. [The directories indicate this was a grocery and bakery]. About four years later the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Washington Northey moved into the next shop and opened a restaurant. For a time only the front part of the building was used as a store, then about 23 years ago, a residence was built on the north of the premises and the entire ground floor was opened to the store. Eight years ago this summer a large workshop and ice house were built at the rear of the premises and the machinery for making ice cream installed in it. For years ice cream was frozen entirely in a hand-turned freezer, later a steam engine was installed for the purpose, and this engine is today in use at Haliburton for making ice cream. For over 20 years, however, a motor has been used to run the freezer. The ice cream is manufactured from pure cream and is famous for its delicious flavour. Ice cream sodas and soft drinks are also served in the ice cream parlour… Every kind of confectionery can be found in the stock, and also fresh fruit, some vegetables and oysters in season. The fruit is mostly imported from California… In winter time toffy, and other varieties of boiled candy, are made on the premises. Since the death of Mr. Washington Northey in 1924 the business has been in charge of [Mr. and Mrs. Alex Northey]. Mr. Northey is a veteran of the Great War and was for some years in charge of the Continuation School Cadet Corps. He is also a well known curler. [FFPL 28.11A]