- Mill Owner 1859/1860 (Approx.) - 1862 (Approx.)
[Wallis’s old] “mill property was then bought by one Sutherland Stayner and lay idle for a long time, to the great detriment of the village. Then it was leased, and later bought by R.C. Smith of Port Hope and a Mr. Waddell of Cobourg” [Kirkconnell (1921); 50]. Stayner is reported to have purchased Wallis’s mill property in the late 1850s, perhaps, as Suggitt suggests , after the destruction of the saw mill in 1858 [although there is conflicting evidence]. He also lived in Maryboro Lodge. If this is true, then R.C. Smith probably purchased the old mill properties from Stayner about 1862. Stayner never appears in any of the local directories.