Samuel Maybee

Daniel Scully sold Samuel Maybee a lot at the corner of Lindsay and Ellis Streets (the site of Porter’s Hotel) in July 1885 [FFG 15 July 1885; 2]. By late August a two-storey frame building, intended for a store and dwelling, was under construction [FFG 29 Aug 1885; 2]. “It is a good sized two-storey frame building on a substantial stone foundation, and will have an excellent cellar beneath it and a roomy kitchen behind.” Maybee was in business by December 1885 [CP 4 Dec 1885; 1]. Although he was sometimes in trouble for allowing the consumption of liquor on his premises [CP 5 Nov 1886; 6] Maybee was operating a small restaurant in addition to the grocery store by 1889. The business vanishes from the directories by the summer of 1897.

476 Maybee is listed in the 1891 Census as a 43 year-old, Ontario-born Methodist labourer.

See Also

    © Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum