- Grocer & Baker 1877 - 1883
A partnership comprising John Moffat and Joseph McFarland was announced in March 1877 [CP 30 March 1877; 3]. Starting with groceries, they moved their store into William Marshall’s old stand [on the east side of Colborne Street] in May of 1880 [FFG 10 July 1880; 31]. At this time they may have started the bakery section of the business. Hand, while narrating the tale of a runaway horse briefly describes the front of their store with its “verandah posts” and “fish barrels”2 [FFG 3 Feb 1883; 2]. The partnership lasted for six years until May 1st, 1883 [FFG 14 April 1883; 2]. J.J. Power rented their old store beside the Gazette office and opened a grocery store.
559 The ad is dated 26 May 1880.
560 RUNAWAY.–Last Thursday evening a team of horses owned by Mr. John Junkin of Verulam (brother of Mr. Henry Junkin of this village) took fright at something while standing at Mr. R.C. Smith’s blacksmith’s shop south of the river, and ran away. After crossing the bridge the sleigh to which they were attached collided with a load of logs, and the runaways then took the sidewalk on the east side of Colborne street and continued their career, tho’ at no great speed, until they reached Moffat & McFarland’s grocery, where, getting tangled up between the verandah posts on one side and fish barrels, &, on the other, the off horse slipped and fell, and a number of men ran up and secured them. Two panes of glass and a sash were broken and a wash tub damaged, but no further harm was done. [FFG 3 Feb 1883; 2]. Wooden verandahs were common until the introduction of canvas awnings later in the century.