- Flour Mills, Livestock 1896 - 1908 (Approx.)
- Appraisers 1901 - 1908
- Water Power Transmission Scheme 1898 (Approx.) - 1900s (Approx.)
“The nerves of Fenelon Falls thrilled with joy last Friday afternoon [probably April 28th] when it became known that part, at least, of the Smith property had changed hands.” McDougall, Brandon and Austin purchased the “large stone building intended for a flour mill, the old sawmill, and the farm of about 180 acres just outside of the village boundary” [CP 5 May 1893; 8]. This purchase eventually enabled the Syndicate to begin an expansion; additions were made to the stone mill between the bridges [FFG 17 April 1896; 4] and plans were underway for an oatmeal mill. By August, the Syndicate was moving all of their machinery from the frame building on Bond Street to the stone mill “where henceforth all their milling business will be done” [FFG 7 Aug 1896; 4]. Milling capacity was to be doubled in the new premises, “and arrangements are being made to grind all the buckwheat, corn and rye the farmers may wish to have converted into flour or chop” [FFG 28 Aug 1896; 4]. The stone mill was in full operation by October [FFG 23 Oct 1896; 4]. By November Henry Austin was taken into partnership [FFG 6 Nov 1896; 4]. In November 1897 a new building to house a dynamo was constructed on the east side of the mill along with a new flume [FFG 5 Nov 1897; 4]; and the following spring “a wide verandah on the north and west sides of the stone mill” was built “as a shelter for farmers, their teams, and their vehicles in wet weather” when unloading grain or loading flour [FFG 25 Mar 1898; 5]. The mill continued operating for many years afterwards.
519 The firm appears to have acted as appraisers for the Canada Permanent Mortgage Corporation.
520 There is no mention about what happened to this building.
521 The following appeared in the FFG in 1928 regarding the career of Dr. David Gould. “Always actively interested in the business affairs of the town, Dr. Gould served on the Council and Board of Water, Light and Power Commissioners. He was a member of the council which made arrangements with MacDougall, Brandon and Austin to take over the stone mill property, and secured authority from the Legislature to form a Board of Water, Light and Power Commissioners with permission to borrow money to the extent of $75,000. The Council borrowed $68,250, erected a new dam on this side of the river, built the village power house and installed the electric power plant. The stone mill was taken over also and rented to the late Mr. J. H. Brandon who operated it for years. The first Board of Commissioners was composed of Dr. Gould, who had resigned from the Council, as chairman, the late Mr. Joseph McFarland, who was the village reeve, Mr. George Martin and Mr. M.W. Brandon.” [FFPL: 28.12A]