John Nugent

John Nugent, who came from Lindsay, opened his drug store in March of 1876 [CP 10 March 1876; 3]. Almost immediately, on March 29th he was burnt out along with 7 or 8 other businesses [CP 31 March 1876; 2]; but by November he moved into the newly completed McArthur Block (rebuilt after the fire). By 1880 his shop, selling drugs, dye stuff, seeds and fancy articles, was known as the The New Drug Store [FFG 10 July 1880; 3]. Nugent sold out to William E. Ellis in August 1883 [FFG 25 Aug 1883; 2]. Nugent returned to Lindsay, but in 1885 moved to Peterborough to open a shop on Hunter Street [CP 21 Aug 1885; 5].

607 Variant spelling: Nuggent

See Also

    © Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum