- Barber 1889 (Approx.) - 1901 (Approx.)
- Barber and Photographer 1895 (Approx.)
- Machinist 1901 (Approx.) - 1911 (Approx.)
- Chief Constable 1907/1908 (Approx.)
A John Jones, listed as a resident, was burned out in the great fire of April 1884, but there is no record of a business until John Jones purchased the business of George Quibell in April of 1889, and took over the role of, what Hand called, our “village tonsorial artist” [FFG 19 April 1889; 4]. Jones’ shop was in the Jordan Block between Mr. Curtis and Mr. T. Austin. The 1891 Census lists him as a 30 year-old, Irish-born, Methodist barber. By 1892 he had a clipping machine to cut hair [FFG 17 June 1892; 4], and in 1894 customers could enjoy a hot bath in the back room for 25¢ [FFG 21 Dec 1894; 5]. In addition to barbering Jones also made awnings and tents, and by 1896 was making them for many of the local businesses2 [FFG 24 April 1896; 5]. In 1895 he even tried his hand at photography.
In 1897 Jones’ wife died [FFG 10 Sept 1897; 5], and by 1901 his career as a barber may have been over. After 1901 he is listed as a machinist and in the Province of Ontario Directory for 1907/1908 he was the chief constable.
404 George Quibell and “John Jones Jr.” built an ice rink in 1884 [FFG 29 Nov 1884; 2]. Jones may have been his assistant at the time. See under Quibell, George.
405 “On Wednesday [Jones] was at work putting an awning over Mr. McFarland’s shop front, and he has orders for 21 others, as follows: J. Twomey 7, John Aldous 2, F. McDougall 2, J. Heard 2, Graham & Co. 1, H.J. Lytle 1, J.J. Lee 1, J. Bell 1, P. Ouillette 1, J.L. Arnold 1, J.J. Nevison 1, McKenzie & Stanton 1, with more expected… He makes tents as well as awnings, and Mr. R.B. Sylvester has ordered one 12 by 30 feet to be used as a portable photography gallery” [FFG 24 April 1896; 5].
406 Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory (1895).