John Elliot opened a new bakery and confectionery establishment in March of 1877, with John Kellet, lately of Lindsay, acting as baker [CP 30 March 1877; 3). Elliot operated a bakery and grocery store in a building owned by Noble Ingram until October 3rd 1878, when his store and residence were totally destroyed by fire. He succeeded in saving his furniture and clothes, but the shop and groceries were destroyed [CP 11 Oct 1878; 3]. He must have left the village soon afterwards, for he disappears from the records and by June 1884 he was living in Fergus Falls, Minnesota [VW 13 June 1884; 1].
Variant spelling: Elliott