John Cullon & Sons [ 1830 (Approx.) - ]

  • Shoes 1875 - 1891 (Approx.)

“Mr. Cullen has just opened his new shop on Colborne Street” announced the Canadian Post in March 1875 [26 March 1875; 3]. Two years later, in October 1877, Cullen moved his store into the “hotel block” (beside the new Mansion House hotel) [CP 12 Oct 1877; 3]. D&B lists a John Cullen from July 1875 to 1878, although the store continued to operate into the 1880s. The 1881 Census records a 51 year-old John “Cullon”, an Irish-born, Presbyterian, shoemaker. Cullen had two sons who were also shoemakers, Thomas Cullen (born c. 1856) and James Cullen (born c. 1863). The newspapers often confused the three men and they may have operated out of the same shop. D&B lists Thomas M. Cullen in business from 1880 to 1884 while the Gazette refers to James or J.B. Cullen after 1884. These are John Cullon’s sons. James Cullen was burnt out in the great fire of 1884, but reopened in the “small building formerly used as an office by Dr. Lowe, who kindly gave it up to him” [FFG 3 May 1884; 8].

“Our popular boot and shoe maker Mr. J.B Cullon was united in marriage to Miss. M.L. Ellis” in November 1885 [CP 20 Nov 1885; 8]. Cullon’s business disappears from the directories after this happy event, but a James B. Cullon is listed as a shoemaker in the 1891 Census of the village. All trace of him vanishes thereafter.

243 Variant spelling: Cullen, Culler. The Gazette frequently used the spelling Cullen although the 1881 and 1891 Census uses Cullon. James B. is listed in the 1891 Census as a 28 year old Presbyterian shoemaker. This would make him 12 years old in 1875, so perhaps John ran the original store. A James B. Cullon appears in the Ontario Directory for 1886/87. 244 Cullen moved his shop a number of times; J. Cameron moved into the shop recently occupied by Mr. Cullon, opposite [the Gazette] office (FFG 12 May 1883)

See Also

    © Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum