- Groceries/Boots/Shoes 1890 - 1926
- Insurance Agent 1892 - 1926
James L. Arnold came to Fenelon Falls from Aylmer, ON in 1887 and worked for Austin Bros’ grocery and butcher store. After two and a half years the Austin Bros.’ partnership dissolved and upon Henry Austin taking over the business Arnold was hired as manager and bookkeeper. About 1890, Arnold entered into partnership with Thomas Graham selling groceries, boots & shoes. Arnold & Graham lasted only a few years as it disappears from the directories by 1893. By 1894 at the latest, Arnold [and by implication Graham as well] were in partnership with Findlay McDougall and John H. Brandon, who operated a general store under the name McDougall, Brandon and Co. This was known as the Syndicate Store, and was “situated in the building now occupied by W. Burgoyne & Son”. That partnership with McDougall and Brandon was dissolved in October 1895. Soon afterwards the Syndicate store was sold to W. Davey of Bobcaygeon, as it was the “intention of the Syndicate to devote their entire attention to milling and farming [FFG 31 Jan 1896; 5]. Any remaining connection between Arnold and Graham was dissolved at this time.
Then, in February of 1896, Arnold bought out W.J. Ellison whose stock consisted of groceries, boots and shoes [FFG 14 Feb 1896; 4]. Located initially in the Cunningham block Arnold’s store became a fixture of the main street for the next three decades, eventually moving to the west side of Colborne Street. “The store carries an extensive stock including groceries, boot, shoes, and wallpaper.”
After 1913, the business was taken over by Rosetta Edwards Arnold. She apparently had taken over the business from her husband, when his name was suddenly dropped from Dun & Bradstreet in January 1913. She operated a general store from the spring of 1913 until 1926. She died on October 9th, 1928 in her 56th year, just a few months after her husband, and was buried in the Fenelon Falls Cemetery. She is listed as Etta Arnold in a Notice to Creditors dated 12 Dec 1928.
Arnold also sold insurance and was selling locally by June 1892. “For the most part of 30 years Mr. Arnold has conducted a successful fire insurance business. He has a lengthy connection with the School Board holding the office of secretary treasurer for 27 years. He has also been Division Court Clerk for years, has served on the village council, was secretary-treasurer of the Board of Water, Light and Power and is a member of the Cemetery Board.”
There is a picture of Arnold and other members of the 1904 School Board in the Souvenir of Fenelon Falls. Arnold died on the 15th of August 1928, aged 65 years and was buried in the Fenelon Falls Cemetery.
14 See Arnold & Graham.
15 One source says that Arnold & Graham amalgamated with McDougall and Brandon [FFPL 28.16A]
16 The ad is dated 19 October 1895, but was first seen in the surviving Gazettes on 3 January 1896; 5.
17 Dun & Bradstreet is hereafter abbreviated to D&B.
18 The full article from 1928 is as follows [note the misspelled names]: Arnold’s Grocery Store
Coming to Fenelon Falls from Aylmer, Ont., in 1887 Mr. J.L. Arnold entered the employ of Messrs. Austin Bros., who conducted a grocery and butcher business here. After two and a half years Austin Bros. dissolved partnership, Mr. H. Austin taking over the business himself with Mr. Arnold as manager and bookkeeper. Later Mr. Arnold entered into partnership with the late Thos. Graham in a grocery, boot and shoe business, which was afterwards amalgamated with McDougall and Brandon in a general business, which they operated for two and one-half years. The store was situated in the building now occupied by W. Burgoyne & Son and was known as the Syndicate Store. After some time the firm sold out to Mr. Davies and dissolved partnership.
Mr. Arnold then bought the grocery, book and shoe store conducted by Mr. Allison in the Cunningham block and carried on a business there fore years, moving later to the present site on Colborne Street west. The store carries an extensive stock including groceries, boot, shoes, and wallpaper.
For the past 30 years Mr. Arnold has conducted a successful fire insurance business. He has a lengthy connection with the School Board holding the office of secretary treasurer for 27 years. He has also been Division Court Clerk for years, has served on the village council, was secretary-treasurer of the Board of Water, Light and Power and is a member of the Cemetery Board.
Mr. Edward Arnold, who has been associated with his father in the business for some years, is now in charge. He is a member of the Curling Club, of the Masons and of the IOOF. Mr. Albert Chambers has been employed in the store for some years. [History of the Fenelon Falls Business Places From Their Establishment to the Present Day (1928)]. A series of articles from the Fenelon Falls Gazette in 1928, transcribed and gathered together in the FFPL. [FFPL 28.16A]
19 The entry for J.L. Arnold in the 1904 Souvenir states: “J.L. Arnold carries one of the best stocks of groceries and crockery to be found in this vicinity and renews every line so often that every article of every line he deals in is always fresh. He makes a specialty of camper’s supplies, and everything required by this class of customers is to be found in his stock in large quantities, and all of the very best brands. He also deals extensively in farm produce of all kinds. He carries a large stock of boots and shoes, being agent for the two best makes in Canada–the Slater shoe for men, and the Empress shoe for women. Mr. Arnold is a Canadian by birth, and has been a resident of Fenelon Falls for 14 years. He has been in business for 9 years. Mr. Arnold has been a member of the Village Council several terms, as also of the School Board, at present being a member of the latter body. He is also agent for several of the reliable insurance companies taking risks in Canada, and does a good business in this line.” p. .