- Physician 1885 - 1930s (Approx.)
Hugh Henry Graham was born in Peterborough County1, the second son of Thomas Graham. Educated in Dublin and London he graduated in 1884 and returned to Canada in July of that year. He joined the practice of Dr. P. Palmer Burrows in Lindsay by the end of the summer, and remained in Lindsay for nine-months. Graham set up practice in Fenelon Falls in June 1885 when he rented the house and office [on Francis Street West] of Dr. Lowe who was moving to Toronto. “During the succeeding years he earned the love and respect of all…” [Suggitt; 280].
Dr. Graham was well known in the community for many years and played an active part in local affairs, as a member of the Baptist Church and on the School Board. His son, Grattan C. Graham was also a doctor and eventually took over the practice. “One of the pioneer medical men of the Province, Dr. Graham’s career covered the horse and buggy days when the life of a country practitioner was one of long hours and arduous journeys. His practice made heavy demands on his skill and time and the doctor devoted himself unselfishly to the service of his fellow men. As a physician he enjoyed the affection and confidence of his patients to a marked degree” [FFPL 40:9].
There is a full page biographical entry on H.H. Graham [with photograph] in The Canadian Album. Men of Canada; Success by Example … / Edited by Wm. Cochrane. (Brantford, Ont.: Bradley, Garretson & Co., 1893.) Vol. II, p. 122.