Henry E. Austin [ 1869 - 1953 ]

The “Big 4 Restaurant” offered the “best brands of cigars, a full line of confectionery, fruit, lunches, bread, cakes, etc.” [FFG 29 April 1898; 5]. Originally located one door north of the Public Library the business moved in October 1898 two doors north of the Post Office “to the premises formerly occupied by Mrs. R. McDougall.” Austin stated “he would keep a good stock of choice confectionary, cigars and everything in his line of business” [FFG 14 Oct. 1898; 5]. By January 1899, Henry E. Austin was declared insolvent in a notice to creditors dated January 10th 1899 [FFG 13 Jan. 1899; 5].

The Junkin Families lists a Henry “Harry” E. Austin (1869-1953) who was born in Oconto, Wisconsin, and who returned with his family to Fenelon Falls about 1881. According to that source the family left for Toronto in 1894, but if this is the same man he may have returned once again to establish himself in the village. He died in Toronto on August 6th, 1953.

31 This is probably the Jordan Block near the North-west corner of Colborne and Francis Streets. 32 The Junkin Families… (Toronto, 1998): 383, 408.

See Also

    © Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum