Gilbert E. Anderson [ - 1898 ]

Gilbert E. Anderson purchased a hardware business from his brother-in-law, George H. Bertram in September 1883 [FFG 29 Sept 1883; 2]. Located next to the “Simpson House” Hotel, Anderson soon expanded the business by adding a stove and tinware department. The store was managed for Anderson by Richard Smith, described as Bertram’s old store manager; Smith stayed until March 1884, when he was in turn replaced by Clarence McNabb, “for some time past in the employ of Mr. Peter Bertram, of Orillia…” [FFG 29 March 1884; 2].

In July of 1885 the business was (re-)purchased by Bertram & Co. (of Toronto), and Anderson’s household furniture was sold by auction on October 1st, as he was returning to the “old country.”[FFG 26 Sept 1885; 2]. The new business was to be under the management of Mr. J. Mitchell [FFG 1 Aug 1885 : 2]. Anderson was dead by 1898, when his son Thomas, of Peterborough, bicycled to the Falls to visit with E.D. Hand, the editor of the Fenelon Falls Gazette, and no doubt catch up on local news [FFG 22 July 1898; 4].

Gilbert E. Anderson purchased a hardware business from his brother-in-law, George H. Bertram in September 1883 [FFG 29 Sept 1883; 2]. Located next to the "Simpson House" Hotel, Anderson soon expanded the business by adding a stove and tinware department. The store was managed for Anderson by Richard Smith, described as Bertram’s old store manager; Smith stayed until March 1884, when he was in turn replaced by Clarence McNabb, "for some time past in the employ of Mr. Peter Bertram, of Orillia..." [FFG 29 March 1884; 2]. In July of 1885 the business was (re-)purchased by Bertram & Co. (of Toronto), and Anderson's household furniture was sold by auction on October 1st, as he was returning to the "old country."[FFG 26 Sept 1885; 2]. The new business was to be under the management of Mr. J. Mitchell [FFG 1 Aug 1885 : 2]. Anderson was dead by 1898, when his son Thomas, of Peterborough, bicycled to the Falls to visit with E.D. Hand, the editor of the Fenelon Falls Gazette, and no doubt catch up on local news [FFG 22 July 1898; 4].

10 Anderson appears to have been living in Maryboro Lodge during his years in Fenelon Falls. 11 Simpson’s, best known as the Mansion House Hotel, was located on the south-east corner of Colborne and Francis Streets. 12 The notice in the Gazette is dated 1 August, and appeared 8 August 1885; 2. 13 This is the new name under which George H. Bertram was now operating.

See Also

    © Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum