George Rickey

The hotel/tavern of George Rickey first appears in D&B in 1872. A tavern license was issued to George Rickey by Fenelon Council in February or March 1874 [CP 6 March 1874: 4]. The business does not appear to have lasted much beyond the year as Rickey was not licensed in 1875. So far the hotel referred to has not been identified, but the dates for the Quebec and Ottawa House are comparable. Rickey may have only been an employee; either that or his hotel was outside the village limits in Fenelon Township.

The hotel/tavern of George Rickey first appears in D&B in 1872. A tavern license was issued to George Rickey by Fenelon Council in February or March 1874 [CP 6 March 1874: 4]. The business does not appear to have lasted much beyond the year as Rickey was not licensed in 1875. So far the hotel referred to has not been identified, but the dates for the Quebec and Ottawa House are comparable. Rickey may have only been an employee; either that or his hotel was outside the village limits in Fenelon Township.

644 Variant name: John. The 1872 D&B lists his name as John Rickey, a “Hotel” operator; subsequent editions list him as George and as a tavern owner. There is a George Ricky listed as a 36 year-old, Irish-born blacksmith from Ashburnham in Peterborough County (1871 Census).

© Copyright 2022 - Maryboro Lodge Museum