- Agricultural Implements 1899, 1905 (Approx.) - 1915 (Approx.)
- Steamfitter 1904 (Approx.)
- Agricultural Implements & Plumber 1916 - 1970s (Approx.)
Foster Kelly may have been in business as early as 1899 when he opened up a Massey Harris Farm Implement dealership in a frame building on Francis Street East [FF Then & Now; 164]. His first appearance in the directories occurs in 1904 when he is listed as a steamfitter, and, in 1905, as an agricultural implements dealer. The business eventually transformed itself into Foster Kelly’s Plumbing and Heating, a fixture of Francis Street East until the 1970s.
The following article is recorded from a 1928 issue of the Fenelon Falls Gazette in the FFPL (28.27A). Kelly, Foster and Smith. Mr. Foster Kelly has been connected with the business life of Fenelon Falls since 1903, when he bought the plumbing business of the late Mr. Thos. Robson on Colborne Street, moving it into a shop on Francis Street east, owned by the late Mr. J. Twomey, and adding an implement line some months later.
In 1918 Mr. Mossom Smith entered into partnership with Mr. Kelly and a service station and automobile repair shop were added to the implement and plumbing business. For seven years a Maxwell agency was carried, then the Chrysler for one year, and at present, the Pontiac and Buick. The business is fairly evenly divided among the different lines, although last year the turn-over from the garage department was in excess of the others and greater than it had been in former years. Williard Storage Batteries and Goodyear tires and accessories are handled by the garage while a good line of garage equipment has been added during the last year or so.
The firm is the only one in the district carrying plumbing supplies, and is agent for Beatty Bros. pumps and the Empire Duro house pressure water system.
Both Mr. Smith and Mr. Kelly have taken an active part in municipal affairs. Mr. Kelly served for six years on the village council and has also been a member of the Board of Trade. … attends the Baptist Church. Mr. Smith is at present a member of the School Board, his third term in this office. Before moving into the village he served for six years on the school Board of SS. No. 12, Verulam. Mr. Smith is a Presbyterian.