A. (Alexander) Clark [ 1829 (Approx.) - 1912 ]

Alexander Clark began business in Manilla around 1859. His “new tailoring establishment” was opened in rooms over the Fenelon Falls Post Office on December, 18th, 1884 [FFG 20 Dec 1884; 2]. By April 1885 he had rented “the store in Cunningham’s Block between McFarland’s and Austin’s groceries”, and taken his son into partnership [FFG 11 April 1885; 2]. Alexander Jr. (b. 1863), and his brother John would often go on buying trips for the firm to Toronto [FFG 21 Aug 1891; 4], or take orders from other communities such as Kinmount, Minden and Haliburton [FFG 13 Nov 1891; 4]. Manitoba and the north-west was also a source of mail-order business [FFG 29 July 1892; 4-5]. As early as 1892, but certainly by 1895, they moved into the McArthur Block. Their assistant in the shop was Robert DeLury. The business vanishes from the directories about 1901 or 1902.

See Also

© Copyright 2021 - Maryboro Lodge Museum